Cathays cemetery was opened in July 1859.
The first burial was Maria Dolores DePico, the 25 year old daughter of the Spanish Ambassador to Cardiff. Since then, there have been over 224,000 burials, including many notable Cardiff figures including mayors, shipping magnates, lords and many others who helped shape the city we know today.
In 2006, the Friends of Cathays Cemetery was formed to help preserve the historical legacy of the Cemetery as well as maintain the grounds for visitors. Today the Cemetery is a haven for wildlife as well as being valued for its rich historical legacy. The Cemetery hosts a varied and expanding programme of events through the year.
- Car parking
- Vehicle access
- Accessible public toilets
- Cremated remains
Weekdays: 9am to 4.45pm.
Weekends and bank holidays: 10am to 3.45pm.
Cemetery grounds maintenance
We follow a regular maintenance programme in all of our Cemeteries.
We also offer a grave maintenance programme.